Last time we looked at how to add lights and an atmosphere to out new Empty Level. Today we’ll be adding new assets to the level so we can get started on our project to build a small room. As promised however, here’s how you delete assets in the Unreal Engine.
- Left click on the asset in the World Outliner to select it
- Then right click on the asset within the World Outliner to open the drop down menu
- Go to Edit then click Delete
Adding more assets to the world
Let’s get some more assets onto the level. Go to the Content Browser and select the StarterContent folder. Click on the Props folder and this is where you’ll find all the assets we’ll be using for this section.
- Drag and drop the SM_TableRound onto the level
- Do the same with the SM_Chair
- With the Chair selected, press the E button to access the Rotation Tool
- Left click on the Blue axis line and rotate the chair to face the table.
- Repeat the above steps to add a second chair
Now you’ll want to go back to the main StarterContent folder and select Architecture. Here’s a task for you, add some walls and a ceiling to build a small room. Remember to use the rotation tool and movement tool to maneuver the walls into position. Don’t worry about how long it takes you to do this, the aim is to complete the room by yorself.
Once you’ve placed the walls, you’ll want to go back to the Props folder and place a SM_Lamp_Ceiling on the ceiling inside the room. After this, return to the Modes window and select the Lights menu. Click and drag the Point Light to the ceiling light so that it ‘provides’ a light source within the structure.
Congratulations, you’ve just built a small room in the Unreal Engine. Next time we’ll be looking at enhancing the room with Materials and we’ll also be editing the Directional Light Actor we placed a little while ago.
Be sure to share with us the screenshots of your first Unreal Engine creation! We’d love to see what you’ve come up with.